Lowell Beaver Post 470 was chartered on June 13, 1947. Upon opening there were 57 chartered members. The first post commander was Stephen W. Rihatican.
We presently have over 600 Legionnaires members. American Legion Post 470 namesake Lowell Beaver was born in Fishers, Indiana on January 29, 1918 and graduated from Fishers High School in 1935. He enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps on December 1, 1941. He was assigned as a radio operator on a B17 bomber and held the rank of First Sgt. in the 96th Bomb Group, 413th Squadron of the Eighth Air Force.
The town of Fishers, Indiana, formerly known as Fishers Station and originally as Fishers Switch, came into being in June of 1872 when Salathiel Fisher divided his land into Town lots. Fishers is currently a growing community with a strong history of family values and successful businesses with a population of approximately 70,000 residents. Fishers is located in southeastern Hamilton County, 20 miles north and east of downtown Indianapolis, with convenient access to major transportation routes.
There’s always something going on at Post 470 so check out our online events calendar and join the action.
We’re very proud of all of the recent upgrades to our facility. From the parking lot to the bar and stage, you’ll see many updated amenities like new hardwood floors in our enclosed bar that allows smoking. A recently remodeled outdoor patio with grill and so much more, you just have to come by and see. We’ve even updated our website for more functionality in order to keep our members and community up-to-date with what’s going on at Lowell Beaver Post 470 in Fishers, IN.
Lowell Beaver Post 470 is located on 126th Street, just 3 blocks West of I-37.
– – – – – – – – – –
Facts About Fishers:
- In 1802 William Conner becomes the first permanent white settler in what is known today as Fishers, Indiana.
- In 1827 the township’s first log cabin school house is erected.
- In 1849 construction begins on the Peru & Indianapolis Railroad that passes through the heart of Fishers.
- In 1861 the first soldiers from the area report for Civil War duty at Camp Morton in Indianapolis.
- In 1891 the Indian General Assembly incorporates Fishers Station
- In 1908 the Post office has dropped the apostrophe and eventually dropped the word switch resulting in the name “Fishers”.
- In 1927 Hamilton Historical Society places a marker on the site of the William Conner farm.
- In 1934 Ely Lilly, grandson of Col. Ely Lilly purchases the Conner farm and begins restoring the house.
- In 1943 The Indianapolis Water Company constructs Geist Reservoir.
- In 1947 Lowell Beaver American Legion Post 470 is chartered.
- In 1963 Fishers High School graduates 24 Seniors form a population of 350.
- In 1972 Fishers adopts zoning and has a population of about 700 people.
- In 1973 Interstate 69, which runs through the heart of Fishers is completed.
- In 1980 Fishers’ population reaches 2,000 and HSE High School graduates 115 students.
- In 1990 Fishers’ population is about 7.000.
- In 1998 Fishers voters overwhelmingly reject the referendum to change from a town to a city.
- In 2000 the population in Fishers has grown to well over 38,000 people.
- In 2005 Fishers was named one of the best places to live in the country by ‘Money Magazine’.
- In 2007 Fishers is named “Best Affordable Suburb by ‘Business Week’ magazine.
- In 2008 voted 10th “Best Place To Live” by ‘Money Magazine’ & “Best Place To Raise A Family” by ‘Forbes’ magazine.
- In 2011 Fishers is named “Top 100 Best Places To Live In America” by ‘Relocate America.
- In 2012 ‘Family Circle’ magazine names Fishers “One Of The 10 Best Towns for Families”.
. . . and the future for Fishers will be filled with many more great accomplishments.
Thank you for stopping by and enjoy your visit!